To Our Pony Express Council Scouting Community,
The Pony Express Council and our national office continue to monitor reports regarding coronavirus (COVID-19).
We are monitor the situation daily and remain in communication with local health officials and recommendations of the CDC. With this said, we are requesting that all units and districts discontinue their in-person meetings, activities and camping through at least April 24th. Pony Express Council will be taking a proactive stand and canceling or postponing all council events through April 24th as well.
We will continue to share any updates as they become available.
Above all, we are committed to protecting youth, volunteers and staff and providing a safe Scouting environment for all.The decision to participate in Scouting is voluntary. Each family should make a personal decision as to their level of participation, if any, they will have in Scouting meetings and activities during this outbreak.
UNIT MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES
- Unit leadership should first consult with their Chartered Organization. The organization may have policies or protocols already in place in response to COVID-19.
- If your unit’s meeting place is in a location different from your Chartered Organization, consult with the meeting place as to any policies or protocols that may be in place in response to COVID-19.
- For any outside activities, contact the facility’s management to determine if that facility has put any restrictions or policies in place in response to COVID-19.
After consulting with your Chartered Organization, your unit committee should determine the most appropriate path forward in delivering the Scouting program for its families. The unit leadership should respect any family’s decision not to participate during this outbreak, and make plans to help Scouts that do not participate re-engage later.
DISTRICT MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES
- District leadership should consult with the facility manager of all district meeting locations and event locations to determine if those facilities have put in place any policies or protocols in response to COVID-19.
COUNCIL FACILITIES (updated 4/1/2020)
- With the order given by the city of St. Joseph, MO, our office will be closed from March 24, 2020 through April 24, 2020 unless otherwise notified. You may contact staff via email if you should need assistance during this time. This includes the Council Service Center and Camp Geiger. We will continue to relay any potential closing information below.
- All scheduled council events are being examined on a case-by-case basis and any cancellations will be communicated below and social media channels.
One of the best forms of defense against the virus is prevention. We urge our Scouting community to use common sense, follow the guidance of public health officials, and practice daily preventive actions.
A Scout is CLEAN and everyone has a role to play in staying healthy. It’s imperative to practice everyday preventive behaviors like:
- Stay home when you feel sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If you don't have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve/elbow not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
- Do not share personal items such as cups, water bottles, eating utensils, etc.
- Avoid shaking hands.
If you have a fever, cough, or other symptoms associated with COVID-19, or if you believe you may have been exposed to COVID-19, you should isolate and not attend any Scouting events. People who think they may have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact their healthcare provider immediately.
As Scouts and Scouters, it is our duty to be prepared. Our council leadership will continue to monitor the situation alongside local health officials in regards to the operations of Scouting programs.
For more safeguards and the latest news regarding the coronavirus, visit the CDC’s website. Our council will also relay any Scouting-related updates or cancellations below and on social media channels.
PONY EXPRESS COUNCIL CANCELLATIONS OR POSTPONEMENTS:
Last updated 4/1/2020 12:45 pm
NCMC Merit Badge College has been cancelled.
MWSU Merit Badge College has been postponed. The reschedule date will be announced as soon as possible.
Summer Camp Class Registration scheduled to open April 1st will now open on May 1st. Early rate will be extended to May 1st. Campership Applications are still due by April 1.
Loess Hills Pinewood Derby scheduled for Saturday, March 21 has been postponed tentative till April 25, 2020.
Scouting For Food that was going to take place March 29, 2020 has been postponed indefinitely.
Council Recognition and Silver Beaver Dinner scheduled for April 4, 2020 has been cancelled.
NYLT Training will be postponed until after April 4. The reschedule date will be announced as soon as possible.
Loess Hills District Camporee scheduled for April 4 has been postponed indefinitely.
Grand River Trails Pinewood Derby scheduled for April 4 has been postponed. The reschedule date will be announced as soon as possible.
Relationships Committee scheduled for March 19 is canceled
10 Commandment Hike scheduled for March 28 is canceled
The in-person Tribal Council meeting scheduled for March 29 will be held online via Zoom video Conferencing at 2pm. Instructions will be sent to those attending the meeting.
The Tribal Council weekend has been canceled.
COPE Training scheduled for March 27-29 has been canceled.
Top Unit Popcorn Sellers/Heavy Hitters Dinner scheduled for April 1 has been postponed. The new tentative date is May 6 at 6:30 pm.
Council Office and Camp Geiger will be closed from March 24 to April 2 due to the order placed by the City of St. Joseph, MO.
Spring Blast Charity Shoot scheduled for May 2 will be postponed to September 19, 2020.
Wood Badge scheduled for this spring has been postponed until the Fall of 2020. Date will be announced as soon as possible.
Scout Day at the K scheduled for May 3 will be postponed to September 27.
Lewis and Clark Mystery Dinner scheduled for April 18 will be postponed. The reschedule date will be announced as soon as possible.