Coronavirus Scouting Update
To Our Pony Express Council Scouting Community,
The Pony Express Council and our national office continue to monitor reports regarding coronavirus (COVID-19).
We are monitoring the situation daily and remain in communication with local health officials.
Above all, we are committed to protecting youth, volunteers and staff and providing a safe Scouting environment for all.
The decision to participate in Scouting is voluntary. Each family should make a personal decision as to their level of participation, if any, they will have in Scouting meetings and activities during this outbreak.
UNIT MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES
- Unit leadership should first consult with their Chartered Organization. The organization may have policies or protocols already in place in response to COVID-19.
- If your unit’s meeting place is in a location different from your Chartered Organization, consult with the meeting place as to any policies or protocols that may be in place in response to COVID-19.
- For any outside activities, contact the facility’s management to determine if that facility has put any restrictions or policies in place in response to COVID-19.
After consulting with your Chartered Organization, your unit committee should determine the most appropriate path forward in delivering the Scouting program for its families. The unit leadership should respect any family’s decision not to participate during this outbreak, and make plans to help Scouts that do not participate re-engage later.
DISTRICT MEETINGS & ACTIVITIES
- District leadership should consult with the facility manager of all district meeting locations and event locations to determine if those facilities have put in place any policies or protocols in response to COVID-19.
- At this time, all facilities owned and operated by the Pony Express will operate as normal. This includes the Council Service Center and Camp Geiger. We will relay any potential closing information below.
- All scheduled council events are being examined on a case-by-case basis and any cancellations will be communicated below and social media channels.
One of the best forms of defense against the virus is prevention. We urge our Scouting community to use common sense, follow the guidance of public health officials, and practice daily preventive actions.
A Scout is CLEAN and everyone has a role to play in staying healthy. It’s imperative to practice everyday preventive behaviors like:
- Stay home when sick.
- Cover coughs and sneezes.
- Wash your hands with soap and water.
As Scouts and Scouters, it is our duty to be prepared. Our council leadership will continue to monitor the situation alongside local health officials in regards to the operations of Scouting programs.
For more safeguards and the latest news regarding the coronavirus, visit the CDC’s website. Our council will also relay any Scouting-related updates or cancellations below and social media channels.
Pony Express Council Cancellations:
NCMC Merit Badge College has been cancelled.
MWSU Merit Badge College has been postponed. The reschedule date will be announced soon.